M.A. International Affairs. Ohio University, Athens, OH, 1995.
B.A. French and Psychology. Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA, 1992.
International Exchange. Université de Savoie, Chambéry, France, 1990-91.
- THE CROWS OF BEARA. (Ashland, OR: Ashland Creek Press, September 2017).
- IN ANOTHER LIFE. (Naperville, IL: Sourcebooks, February 2016).
- UPSIDE-DOWN GIRL. On submission.
Short Stories/Flash Fiction
- “Rollerblading in Venice,” No Extra Words short story podcast, January 23, 2016.
- “Wine: A Love Story,” Emerge Literary Journal, January 2016.
- “Granny,” No Extra Words short story podcast, November 17, 2015.
- “Prix Fixe,” Mud Season Review, Vol. 1, May 2015. 97-112.
- “Milk and Blood,” Cobalt Review, March 2014. 33-37.
- “Colorado,” Up Do: Flash Fiction by Women Writers. Patricia Flaherty Pagan, ed. (Houston, TX: Spider Road Press, February 2014): 22-23.
- “Lovely,” flash fiction, Short Story HQ Flash of Fiction Anthology. Kate Krake, ed. (Smashwords, November 2013): 50-52.
- “The Slaughterhouse,” River Poets Journal, Vol. 6 No. 3, Autumn/Winter 2012. 32-36.
- “Dulce et Decorum Est,” Cirque: A Literary Journal of the North Pacific Rim, Vol. 4 No 1 Winter Solstice 2012.17-20.
- “Water Child,” Stories for Sendai: An Anthology. J.C. Martin & Michelle Davidson Argyle, eds. (Lexington, KY: J.C. Martin and Michelle Davidson Argyle, June 2011): 97-101.
- "The Wild Birds, by Emily Strelow," Washington Independent Review of Books, April 13, 2018.
- "The Atlas of Forgotten Places, by Jenny D. Williams," Washington Independent Review of Books, July 23, 2017.
- “Everything is Love Is, by Claire King,” Washington Independent Review of Books, January 26, 2017.
- “The Narrow Road to the Deep North,” The Style Hut Book of Reviews, Vol. 1 No. 2, Jan-Feb 2015.
- “Their Names,” Three Minus One: Stories of Parents’ Love and Loss. Sean Hanish & Brooke Warner, eds. (Berkeley, CA: She Writes Press, April 2014): 127-130.
- “Winning Proposals: Writing a Successful Statement of Purpose for Study Abroad,” Transitions Abroad, Vol. 22 No. 3, Nov-Dec 1998.
- “Short-Term Study Abroad: Balancing What Students Need and What They Can Afford,” Transitions Abroad, Vol. 20 No. 4, Jan-Feb 1997.
Awards and Honors
- 2016 GOLD Winner for Fantasy, Foreword Indie Awards. IN ANOTHER LIFE. American Library Association Annual Conference, June 2017.
- Siskiyou Prize for New Environmental Literature, finalist. THE CROWS OF BEARA. Karen Joy Fowler, Judge, Ashland Creek Press. December 2014.
- New Millennium Writings Award for Fiction, finalist, November 2013.
- Short Story HQ Flash Fiction, First Prize (Romance), November 2013.
- Santa Fe Writers Project Literary Award for Fiction, finalist, January 2012.
- “The Art and Craft of the Query, Part 1: A Nuts and Bolts Workshop.” BARN, Bainbridge Island, WA, May 5, 2018.
- "Spark to Flame: Writing Micro-Fiction." The Writers’ Workshoppe, Port Townsend, WA, October 10-December 5, 2017.
- “A Needle Pulling Thread: How to Write Your Story’s Beginning.” BARN, Bainbridge Island, WA, September 16, 2017.
- “Novels-in-Progress: A Weekly Feedback and Motivation Workshop.” The Writers’ Workshoppe, Port Townsend, WA. Two weekly sessions, June 20-August 25, 2016 & June 20-August 22, 2016.
- “A Needle Pulling Thread: How to Write Your Story’s Beginning.” The Writers’ Workshoppe, Port Townsend, WA, May 21, 2016.
- “Novels-in-Progress: A Weekly Feedback and Motivation Workshop.” The Writers’ Workshoppe, Port Townsend, WA. Two weekly sessions, January 7-March 17, 2016 & January 11-March 21, 2016.
- “Novels-in-Progress: A Weekly Feedback and Motivation Workshop.” The Writers’ Workshoppe, Port Townsend, WA. Weekly, September 15-November 17, 2015.
- “The Art and Craft of the Query, Part 2: Workshop Your Query Letter.” The Writers’ Workshoppe, Port Townsend, WA. September 19, 2015.
- “The Art and Craft of the Query, Part 1: A Nuts and Bolts Workshop.” The Writers’ Workshoppe, Port Townsend, WA. July 25, 2015.
For The Crows of Beara:
- Eagle Harbor Books, Bainbridge Island, WA, February 11, 2018
- The Writer's Workshoppe and Imprint Books, WA, May 19, 2018
- Jefferson County Library, Port Hadlock, WA, October 11, 2017
- The Writer's Workshoppe and Imprint Books, WA, September 30, 2017
For In Another Life:
- University Book Store, Seattle, WA. February 1, 2016
- Third Place Books, Seattle, WA. February 2, 2016
- Secret Garden Books, Seattle, WA. February 4, 2016
- Liberty Bay Books, Poulsbo, WA. February 9, 2016
- The Writer’s Workshoppe and Imprint Books, Port Townsend, WA, February 27, 2016
- Field’s End Speaker Series, Bainbridge Public Library, Bainbridge, WA. March 15, 2016
- "Their Names," from Three Minus One: Stories of Parents’ Love and Loss. Elliott Bay Books, Seattle, WA. June 15, 2014.
- “Their Names,” from Three Minus One: Stories of Parents’ Love and Loss. Third Place Books-Ravenna, Seattle, WA. May 22, 2014.
Professional Development: Selected Workshops/Conferences
- Port Townsend Writer’s Conference, Master Class with Helena María Viramontes, Port Townsend, WA, July 20-27, 2016.
- Writing the Imaginal, Bridgid Mosher, Port Townsend, WA, February 22, 2016.
- Fearless Writing, Lidia Yuknavitch, Port Townsend, WA, August 23-24 2015.
- Lining Our Thoughts: A Poetry Workshop with Leanne O’Sullivan. Anam Cara Artists’Retreat, Eyeries, Ireland, July 4-11, 2015.
- Whidbey Island Writers’ Conference, Coupeville, WA, October 2014.
- Everyday Book Marketing, Midge Raymond, Port Townsend, WA, September 2014.
- Writing Memoir, Claire Dederer, Port Townsend, WA, April 2014.
- Emerald City Writers’ Conference, Seattle, WA, October 2013.
- Lining Up the Bones: Writing Paranormal Romance, RWA Online Course, October 2014.
- Port Townsend Writers’ Conference, July 2013.
- Approaching the Reader, Jonathan Evison, Seattle, March 2013.
- Writing in Scenes, Nancy Kress, Seattle, February 2013.
- Salon at SAM, Hedgebrook-sponsored workshop, Seattle, January 2013.
- Crafting a Winning Book Proposal, Jen Worick & Kerry Colburn, Seattle, October 2012.
- Chuckanut Writers Conference, Bellingham, WA, June 2012.
- Short Stories Ain’t Easy, Robert Ferrigno, Seattle, November 2011.
- The Short Story, Paul Michel, Seattle, March 2011.
- Essay Writing: How to Find the Story In You and Sell It, Amypaturel.com, Summer 2011
- Feature Writing: Creative Non-Fiction, Yakima Valley Community College, Winter 2003.
- Editorial Freelancer’s Association
- Pacific Northwest Writers Association
- Women’s Fiction Writers Association
- Freelance story/developmental editing; query, synopsis critiquing, writer mentoring service. September 2014-present.
- International Higher Education Administrator, 1995-2006. Developed & presented multiple conference speeches & workshops, “train the trainer” activities, student handbooks.
- Teacher of English as a Second Language: Chad, Africa, 1993; Kyoto, Japan 1991.